The Soaring House was a residential building on a large private gated lot overlooking Edmonton’s river valley. The property was bequeathed to the University by the late Sandy Mactaggart and his wife Cecile. Mactaggart was one of the owners of Maclab Enterprises – a land development company responsible for much of the residential construction in Edmonton after 1949.
The University found the property could not support the university’s teaching or research mandate. The decision was made to decommission and clear the site. The University’s long-term asset management strategy focuses on better using the University’s owned space, reducing its reliance on leased space, renewing or disposing of buildings, and prioritizing where the institution needs to invest its limited resources to address deferred maintenance.
With spectacular views toward the river valley, situated within the central area of Edmonton, the property is well suited for real estate development.
“Was built in Edmonton’s Riverbend neighbourhood in the late 1950s for Sandy Mactaggart and his wife, Cécile. The Mactaggarts donated it to the university in 2010.”